Alabama Rules of Appellate Procedure
Rule 51. Definitions
(1) “Appointed counsel” includes both private counsel appointed by the court and public defender.
(2) “Clerk of the appellate court” and “appellate court clerk” includes the clerk or deputy clerk of the appellate court to which the appeal is taken.
(3) “Clerk of trial court” and “trial court clerk” includes any clerk or register of any court from which an appeal is taken.
(4) “Court of the United States” includes the United States Supreme Court, a federal court of appeals and a federal district court. See also, Constitution of Ala., Amendment No. 328, § 6.02(b)(3).
(5) “District attorney” and/or “attorney general” includes city attorney when an appeal is taken in which a municipality is a party.