Alabama Rules of Juvenile Procedure
The Alabama Rules of Juvenile Procedure were enacted by the Alabama Supreme Court to govern the procedure for all matters in the juvenile court in Alabama. The rules posted below are current through the 2010 amendments. We have posted the text of all of the rules as well as the committee comments, but we have not included the forms or the appendixes at this time.
The following links contain the text of each of the Alabama Rules of Juvenile Procedure:
- Rule 1. General procedure and time limitations.
- Rule 2. Juvenile court judge – Assignment.
- Rule 2.1 Referees.
- Rule 3. Juvenile court judge – Administrative authority.
- Rule 4. Probation officers. [Rescinded.]
- Rule 5. Chief probation officer.
- Rule 5.1. Salary subsidies for juvenile probation officers.
- Rule 6. Volunteers in juvenile court.
- Rule 7. Administrative reports. [Rescinded.]
- Rule 8. Juvenile court intake officers.
- Rule 8.1. Juvenile court magistrates.
- Rule 9. Designation of detention or shelter care facility.
- Rule 10. Disruptive behavior in detention. [Omitted.]
- Rule 11. Rights of the child. [Rescinded.]
- Rule 12. Initiation of cases.
- Rule 13. Issuance of notices and service of summons.
- Rule 14. Appearance of counsel.
- Rule 15. Informal adjustment.
- Rule 15.1. Juvenile Conference Committees.
- Rule 16. Continuance under supervision without adjudication – Consent decree. [Rescinded.]
- Rule 17. Amending juvenile petition.
- Rule 18. Release of confidential juvenile court statistical information.
- Rule 19. Confidentiality of law enforcement records. [Rescinded.]
- Rule 20. Record of juvenile court proceedings.
- Rule 21. Admissibility of child’s statement. [Rescinded.]
- Rule 22. Right to counsel. [Rescinded.]
- Rule 23. Scheduling hearings – Waiver.
- Rule 24. Conduct of adjudicatory hearings or taking of admissions.
- Rule 25. Findings and orders.
- Rule 26. Court costs.
- Rule 27. Modification. [Rescinded.]
- Rule 28. Appeals.
- Rule 29. Title. [Rescinded.]
- Rule 30. Effective date. [Rescinded.]
- Rule 31. Procedure for making a parent, legal guardian, or legal custodian a party.
- Rule 32. Foster Care Permanency Hearing. [Rescinded.]
To discuss your options in appealing your case, call Bill Pfeifer at (800) 737-3702 Extension 1. You can also use the online Contact form on this website to send him an email about your situation.
Alabama State Bar rules require the following disclaimer in all attorney advertisements: “No representation is made that the quality of legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of services provided by other attorneys.”